– In many parts of the world atheists still face official persecution–up to and including the death penalty. The Islamic world has heard this and will not rest until Muslims are protected from blasphemous atheists. Goddamnit.
– Thanks to the insanity of child pornography laws, a Florida man faces a minimum term of 208 years and a maximum term of over 3,000 years in prison for having child porn on his computer. Just a reminder, he probably wouldn’t be punished this harshly if he actually raped a child.
– Police in Everett, Wash. spent two months investigating a pair of Grab-N-Go coffee stands, at the conclusion of which they arrested three bikini baristas for allegedly exposing themselves. Considering that Everett averages over 1,000 burglaries and over 5,000 thefts a year, why are police there spending time and resources investigating bare boobs? Oh right, because boobs.
– America’s five major Internet service providers are set to debut the Copyright Alert System, which will identify illegal file sharers and send them “up to six alerts that increase in their degree of seriousness.” (I believe the final alert warns you that a S.W.A.T. team is outside your door.)
– Apparently the name “Jesus” is trademarked, and not by who you might think…
– Secretary of State John Kerry explained the virtues of freedom of speech to a group of German students this morning, because that’s the job of the Secretary of State: promoting freedoms abroad that the United States government no longer respects at home.
– Guess which organization considers itself above international law? That’s right, the United Nations.
– The Supreme Court has thrown out a legal challenge to the federal government’s warrantless wiretapping program, ruling that the plaintiffs, including Amnesty International USA, do not have standing to challenge the law.
– Salon.com writer accuses Seth MacFarlane’s “We Saw Your Boobs” musical number from the Academy Awards of celebrating “rape” and “violence against women”, also accuses him of misogyny and racism. Jesus, it’s fucking comedy!
– And finally, 10 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Were Atheists (including Morgan Freeman, Keira Knightley and Daniel Radcliffe).